Knowing what to write in a wedding card can be trickier than you might think.
Okay, so you’re overjoyed that your friend or family member is getting hitched but how to put that into words?
Sometimes a thought-provoking quote, message or poem can work perfectly – giving them a little encouragement while also adding a celebratory touch.
Here are 36 quotes, messages, wishes, greetings and poems that might fit nicely in a wedding card.
11 quotes about marriage to write in a wedding card
1) A successful marriage requires falling in love many times, always with the same person – Mignon McLaughlin
2) It is not a lack of love, but a lack of friendship that makes unhappy marriages – Friedrich Nietzsche
3) The first time you marry for love, the second for money, and the third for companionship – Jackie Kennedy
4) Let the wife make the husband glad to come home, and let him make her sorry to see him leave – Martin Luther
5) My most brilliant achievement was my ability to be able to persuade my wife to marry me – Winston Churchill
6) There is no more lovely, friendly and charming relationship, communion or company than a good marriage – Martin Luther
7) A happy marriage is a long conversation which always seems too short – Andre Maurois
8) One should believe in marriage as in the immortality of the soul – Honore de Balzac
9) To keep your marriage brimming, With love in the loving cup, Whenever you’re wrong, admit it; Whenever you’re right, shut up – Ogden Nash
10) Remember that creating a successful marriage is like farming: you have to start over again every morning – H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
11) I love being married. It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life – Rita Rudner
20 messages, greetings and wishes to a friend or family member
1) Wishing you a lifetime of love and happiness
2) May the love you share today grow stronger as you grow old together
3) May today be the beginning of a long, happy life together
4) Wishing you joy, love and happiness on your wedding day and as you begin your new life together
5) May the love and happiness you feel today shine through the years
6) Congratulations on your wedding!
7) We’re/I’m so happy for you!
8) Wishing you the best today and always
9) So happy to celebrate this day with you both!
10) As Bill and Ted said, ‘Be excellent to each other.’
11) Thanks for the free booze. Best wishes on a long, happy marriage!
12) Getting married is like going to drama school. May there be more comedy than melodrama
13) May the One who brought you together bless your marriage, enrich your lives and deepen your love throughout the years
14) Mazel Tov! May the joy that is yours today always fill your life
15) Congratulations on your marriage, and welcome to the family!
16) We’re delighted to share this day with you both
17) What a wonderful day for our family, and especially you two. May the joy you feel today last a lifetime
18) We/I couldn’t be happier to call you both family. Best wishes for a long and happy future together
19) I’m so happy to call you both my friends. Congratulations!
20) Of all the big life events we’ve celebrated over the years, today tops the list. Congrats!
Five wedding poems to share
1) Your wedding day will come and go, but may your love forever grow
2) I make this vow today. I stand here now
Returning you what you gave me to give.
Myself complete. Myself complete in you.
My life I give, that you gave me to give.
(By Andrew Motion)
3) Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments.
Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds,
or bends with the remover to remove:
Oh, no! It is an ever-fixed mark.
That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
It is the star to every wandering bark,
Whose worth’s unknown, although his height be taken.
Love’s not Time’s fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
Within his bending sickle’s compass come;
Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
If this be error and upon me proved,
I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
(Sonnett 116 by William Shakespeare)
4) O my Luve’s like a red, red rose,
That’s newly sprung in June:
O my Luve’s like the melodie,
That’s sweetly play’d in tune.
As fair art thou, my bonie lass,
So deep in luve am I;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
Till a’ the seas gang dry.
Till a’ the seas gang dry, my dear,
And the rocks melt wi’ the sun;
And I will luve thee still, my dear,
While the sands o’ life shall run.
And fare-thee-weel, my only Luve!
And fare-thee-weel, a while!
And I will come again, my Luve,
Tho’ ’twere ten thousand mile!
(A red, red rose by Robert Burns)
5) I cannot promise never to be angry;
I cannot promise always to be kind.
You know what you are taking on, my darling –
It’s only at the start that love is blind.
And yet I’m still the one you want to be with
And you’re the one for me – of that I’m sure.
You are my closest friend, my favorite person,
The lover and the home I’ve waited for.
I cannot promise that I will deserve you
From this day on. I hope to pass that test.
I love you and I want to make you happy.
I promise I will do my very best.
(A Vow by Wendy Cope)